Saturday, October 31, 2009

Frankenstein

So I read Frankenstein this week and I've got to admit that I am not very impressed with Mary Shelley's writing. The fact that she is the daughter of Mary Wollstonecraft really gave me a lot of hope that her writing would actually be good but the unfortunate fact is that her writing just drags on and on. This wouldn't really be a problem if she used all of that unnecessary writing to try to prop up the actions (such as the creature's eloquent speech) with some sort of believable logic. I think the book would have been much better if the creature had first learned everything that Frankenstein knew and then decided through his dealings with humanity that he wanted to wipe human beings off the face of the earth via some awesome weapon. It would then be pretty cool if he created a Mrs. Creature and they struggled through the post-apocalyptic wasteland against the few surviving humans with the help of liberated barnyard creatures. Haha. That would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment