Monday, October 19, 2009

Romanticism

I'm glad that we're studying Romanticism this week in my Brit Lit II class because I've just encountered a lot of Romantic literature in my World Lit class and I've yet to read any British Romanticism. It will be interesting to compare Tolstoy's work, which I am to begin this week, to that of the British Romantics. I'm pretty ignorant about Tolstoy, but I think that he was an opponent of Romanticism which is why I think it will be so cool.

On a side note, I really wish that there were some way to eliminate these unnecessary adjectives that I tend to use such as "interesting" and "cool!" It really bothers me that so much of our conversation is filled with these absurd modifiers! Every time I hear somebody remark, "oh that's interesting," I just want to scream, "Oh yeah? Well what's so damn interesting about it?!" But if I did that I'd be a hypocrite because I too am an abuser of the phrase and I can't stop! It's like we fill the air with that phrase just because, as Boron insists in Umberto Eco's "Baudolino" (I would have underlined that but I can't figure out how to do it in here!), of "the disgust that Nature would feel it it left a vacuum."

No comments:

Post a Comment