Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Folk-dreaming

Last night I dreamt a very odd dream.
It began with my wife and I trudging through the snow. We kept moving along what appeared to be the ballast beside rail tracks until my wife jumped.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"There's a snake in the path!"
I looked but saw no snake. My wife stood there in the path frozen with fear. I looked again and again I saw no snake. So I grabbed my wife by the shoulders and carried her a few paces away from that spot.
After some time passed waiting, I led the way back through the same path. My wife shrieked again when we hit the same spot.
"Snakes!" she said. I looked again and still saw no snakes.
To ease her mind, I walked back from the area again and again we waited. As we waited, I felt something bite my ankle, and looking down I saw a very small silver snake crawling out through a hole in the left leg of my jeans.
I began to push the snake over the edge of a mountain and it grew grotesquely huge as I pushed . After struggling, it finally toppled over the mountain. My wife and I continued to walk along the same path and again we retreated when she saw the invisible snakes. Again I felt the bite of a snake. This time the snake uncoiled from around my ankle and crawled out of my shoe. Again I pushed the snake over the edge of the mountain.
By this time I was panicking. We walked again along the path until we ran into a medicine man who called himself "Red Foot" (what the hell kind of racist subconscious do I have??!) and his son who didn't give a name.
He instantly saw that I was sick from the snake bites and made a brown honeyish looking paste for all of us to eat. I'm not sure why we all ate it. Night fell and my perspective changed from first to third, my lens resting between Red Foot and his son, who sat directly across from me and my wife. A small fire lit my wife's face and mine.
"Is it working?" I heard Red Foot's son ask to my left.
I watched myself slowly bounce up and down. I was breathing heavily.
"What do you see?" My wife asked.
I saw myself point over my wife's right shoulder and indicated a bunny rabbit by forming my hand into a duckbill shape and making bouncing motions with it. As I pointed, I followed an arc to the other side of my pointing finger.
"It's working," Red Foot laughed.
And that's when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment